Friday, July 20, 2012

A Dark Knight

The news of the day today was every parent's worst nightmare.

While watching the midnight premier of the Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises,"in Aurora, Colorado, a masked gunman opened fire in the theater.

In the end, 12 people we killed, and 59 injured.

Here's my "mom-take" on this very sad situation...

While watching the news at about 5:00 this morning, the reporter remarked that it was possible that parents of kids who went to watch the movie might still be sleeping, and not even realize yet that there may be something wrong.

This comment hit home for me. While my two oldest children, aged 14 & 15, are visiting their grandparents, I know very well that if they were home, there is a good possibility that they could have gone to that premier with friends.

I also know that there is a good possibility that I would have fallen asleep on the couch waiting for them to be home.

In essence, had I been a parent in Aurora, Colorado, I could have been one of those parents who didn't know there was something wrong, when so many were fighting for their lives. 

While this thought scares me to death, the logical side of my brain says that I shouldn't change a thing.

I need to teach my kids that they can't be scared to live their lives because of something that happens hundreds of  miles away.

Did we talk about it? Of course. But will we change our lifestyle as a result? Probably not.

Stories like this just remind me once again to always tell my kids I love them, give them a hug at least once a day, and to cherish every moment we share.

1 comment:

  1. I hate hearing about these kinds of things and it seems like when it happens once, it happens several times. I know there were a couple of other shootings after the batman one. It's so sad. We didn't have to talk about it since the kids are young enough that they didn't hear about it, but we have had the 9/11 talk and it's hard for them to comprehend. It's hard for most people to comprehend, they always have questions, like why would someone do that?? You never have a good answer, but try to explain it the best that you can. It makes me even more nervous about school, and them going out when they're older but I know I have to let them do those kinds of things. It definitely won't make us change the way that we live our lives, just have a certain level of I guess caution, so we're more aware of our surroundings and hopefully we'll be able to avoid certain situations where ever they might occur.

    ReplyDelete