Thursday, December 13, 2012


Every year it seems I tell myself, “could the year go by any faster?” and every year it seems to do just that.  I am amazed that the holiday season is upon us.  As a new mom, I must admit that I have gone a little Christmas crazy!  : )   Decorations and singing figurines have found themselves in every nook and cranny of our home.   We have watched every Christmas special on television and have overloaded on holiday movies.   I am relishing every moment.
 
Everything is new for us as a family.  I am especially looking forward to the first Christmas day with my son.  I know it is going to be one of those memories that get tucked away in my heart forever.  I am also excited to begin some traditions that I hope we can continue for many years to come. Visiting Santa Claus, watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special, the lighting of the tree in Rockefeller Center, driving through the beautiful lights downtown, sipping on hot cocoa in our pajamas on Christmas morning are all things that I enjoy and want to create those special memories for our family. 

However there is also another tradition that I feel is just as important and that is to remember those who are less fortunate.  Whether they are unemployed, battling an illness or alone, they do not feel the joy that so many of us are relishing during this time.  I want to encourage my child to think of others and while the needs are always there, it seems especially important during the holidays.
Whether it is serving meals to others, donating a gift, visiting a shut-in, or another worthwhile cause we share the true meaning of the holiday season. 

In our everyday lives it is so easy to forget that there are many out there struggling. My son is too young  to fully understand what the statement of “give and you shall receive” really means, but there is no time like the present to start teaching that philosophy.  That falls upon me as his mother to encourage and foster a spirit of giving.


Life can be so hectic this time of year with gift buying, cookie baking, decorating, wrapping, parties and festivals, that our stress levels can go through the roof.   I encourage every one of us to do something for someone else to foster a spirit of happiness and love this holiday season.  Simply smiling at someone can help to change the world we live in and enjoy …plus it is a gift that doesn’t have to be wrapped.  : )
I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! This reminds me that while things are going great for us these holidays there's still others that need Christmas spirit. Not just with gifts but time too. Or even just a smile. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. So well said. So easy to get wrapped up in the hustle and bustle and forget. Your boy is lucky.....he has a great Mommy & great role model. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete