Friday, December 7, 2012

Let the Craziness Begin!

Well, the night has arrived... Our last "quiet" night of the month. December is our busy month. I know, everyone is busy this month, but we are B-U-S-Y!
We celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah in our house. The first night of Hanukkah starts tomorrow night (12/8), and it runs eight days (nights) through Saturday, 12/15.

For those unfamiliar with the holiday, we light a menorah, one candle for each night, every night for eight nights. So tomorrow, we start with one candle (two actually, including the "leader" candle), and end up with eight (nine) on the last night.
 
The kids get a small gift each night, but "small" is relative. While I can get away with dollar store items with my little ones, it's a little harder to please the older ones. And, even though "it's not about the gifts" (sound familiar?), I don't want them to think of Hanukkah as the holiday where they got the "cheap" presents, and Christmas as the "good" present holiday, so we try to mix them up. Again, I know it's not about the gifts, but, kids are kids. :)

Either way, I have four kids, who each get a present a night for eight nights. Yup, you got it- 32 gifts in a week and a day! In addition, I have a couple of Hanukkah presentations, a Hanukkah party, and LOTS of cooking (all yummy, fat-filled foods) over the next week.

Then, the fun begins. Since Hanukkah and Christmas don't run through each other this year (they sometimes do), we are going to decorate for Christmas starting on December 16, after the Hanukkah celebration is over.

But, in-between decorating, Christmas parties, and last-minute shopping, my husband and I celebrate our wedding anniversary on December 20 (9 years this year!).

Finally, Christmas comes five days later... My husband usually takes pity on me, and we go out to eat, instead of me cooking more :) So, after a morning of opening presents, putting things together, and playing with new toys, we get dressed and go to lunch. Then, movies in the afternoon! Sometimes at home, sometimes at the theater- THIS year, I'm going to see Les Miserables with some friends, and whichever of my children I can get to come with me!


After Christmas is over, we have to get it all put away, because we're off to visit family for New Years.
And, while we're there, we celebrate my son's 15th (!) birthday!

Then we come home, rest for a couple of days, and get ready for school, and the REAL craziness of the spring semester :)

Crazy, you say? Yes, I have to agree. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. As busy as our December is, it is filled with traditions, celebrations, and most important, family. 

And THAT's what the spirit of the holidays should be.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ami for sharing details about Hanukkah. Sounds like a wonderful family tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing about Hanukkah, I always wondered what went on. Its amazing that you celebrate both holidays. I didn't know it could be done!

    ReplyDelete