Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dance, the Best Gift... Ever.

I grew up in Forney, TX (Home of the Fighting Jackrabbits). I still remember going to the high school football games with my dad on Friday nights and never watching any football.  The drill team was the most interesting thing to hit that field, and I knew that one day I too would be a Highstepper.

When I was in second grade, my mom signed me up with a recreational dance program in our community.  18 years have passed since that day, and I am still dancing.  My director, Ms. Lisa, was an amazing woman.  Even though she was working with a group of children, she took her job and most importantly us seriously.  I'll never forget that feeling.  Every one of us was special.  Every one of us was important.  This was all that mattered to me as a child.  As an adult, I look back and appreciate so much more.  Ms. Lisa volunteered every single hour she spent with us.  She sewed each and every one of our costumes, she glued individual sequins on all of our hats, she fluffed every pom pom.  We loved dance because she loved dance.

I met some of my best life-time friends in that recreational dance program.  I went on to dance through junior high, and I finally reached my goal of becoming a Forney High School Highstepper.  Ms. Lisa was waiting outside of every audition, and she cried harder than my mom when I made Captain both my junior and senior years on the team. 

This summer one of my friends told me about a Youth Imact Program developed by a company called Just For Kix (JFK).  JFK is a company that has brought dance to communities across the nation for over 30 years.  The Home Office is located in Minnesota, but directors are hired to develop recreational dance programs in various cities throughout the country.  When I heard about this opportunity, I was thrilled.  I knew I had to be a part of bringing this to San Angelo.  I thought that if I could give at least one child the same gift of dance that was given to me, my life would be fulfilled.  I taught my first class on September 10, 2012, and that fulfillment was confirmed.  Nothing can describe the way it makes me feel to hear my own students tell me that they love dance.  Now I understand.  I understand how someone can voluntarily stay up countless hours sewing tiny skirts to be payed with a hug and a smile.

Today I am 26, and I can still remember every song to every dance Ms. Lisa taught us.  Were we perfect little dancers?  No.  But we felt like we were.  I am forever grateful for the gift of dance, and I will do my best to pay it forward as long as I can.  "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou.

No comments:

Post a Comment