Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My, how times have changed!

I remember several years ago, when "Just Between Friends" came to San Angelo.

I thought it was a great concept, but didn't think that *I* would find anything to buy there. I don't know why; it's not like I thought I was above shopping the sale or anything like that. But, for whatever reason, I just didn't think the sale applied to me.

Two years ago, SanAngeloMoms became one of the media sponsors for the JBF Sale. I had to set up a sponsor table for the sale. I walked in carrying all my table decorations and SanAngeloMoms information. The one thing I didn't think to bring was my debit card. Looking back, I know it was dumb, but it just didn't occur to me.

At that first sale, I saw lots of friends, and made many new ones. Since the line to check out went past our tables, I had plenty of time to chat, and "ooh and ahh" over all the goodies everyone found.

Driving home, I had a thought: "Why didn't I buy anything at the sale?"

I have four children, and at the time three of them fit into the sizes sold at JBF. I had been so focused on being a "sponsor" that it hadn't occurred to me to be a "customer" too.

The next show we helped sponsor, I was ready! I walked in to the Wells Fargo Pavilion with my table decorations, laptop, information flyers, and entry forms. AND, my debit card was tucked away in my back pocket!

I got my table set up, and went to go look, and "see if I could find anything."

DID I EVER! I was shocked to find that most outfits that I would have easily paid $20 for in stores were priced at $5! And, even though we don't have stores like GAP and Gymboree in San Angelo, there were plenty of those name brands and more to choose from.

By the time I finished shopping, which took several trips from my table that night (I kept forgetting I was responsible to answer questions and tell people about SanAngeloMoms!), I'd found enough clothes to complete my daughter's wardrobe, and all of the "fill-in" items I needed for my son (a couple pairs of jeans, a few long-sleeve shirts, and a hoodie).

I could not believe the vast quantity of clothes for sale! Everything is arranged by size, and boys and girls clothes are separated. 

The best part? I'd only spent $89! I KNOW I had at least $500 worth of clothes.

For the next sale, last spring, I went even more prepared. I had a list of things the kids needed, and even brought a list to help out a friend.Again, I found a full wardrobe for my daughter for the spring, some fun things for my son (Since I have an older son, my younger one gets many of his clothes from his older brother), and a few things for my friend's little girl.

Again, I'd spent under $90 for all that I'd bought. And this time, a friend benefited too.

For this sale, I have a plan. For the first time, I am going to sell items in the sale! Of course I'm going to shop again, but this time, hopefully I will be getting a check a few weeks after the sale. Just in time for me to get some Christmas shopping done :)

Also, I have made it my mission to make sure that other moms know about this wonderful sale. It is NOT just a big garage sale- the clothes all have to be in good condition, and free of stains. 

If you've heard about the sale, but haven't been to it, try to get there this year. It's expanding into the Arts and Crafts building next to the Wells Fargo Pavilion, so it will be even bigger!

There will be a question/answer session with Sandy Jameson on SanAngeloMoms tonight at 9:00, so if you have any questions, please join us. If you miss it, you can always come back and ask questions later, and she will get back to you.

Also, I'll be giving away "Friends Passes" at this month's Moms Night Out on  September 18. If I have any left, I'll give them out on SanAngeloMoms.

Please share your experiences with JBF below, so other people can know what to expect!



No comments:

Post a Comment