Friday, September 28, 2012

Literal Interpretation

Here's how the incident played out - -

Things One & Two - Mommy! Can we have those last two donuts in the kitchen?

Me: (Wonders to self, how in the world did donuts even last in this house for that long?  Two days?  That MUST be a new record.) Sure, go for it.

Things One & Two tear out of my room and head to the kitchen. Thing Two had the lead. He's just faster. And, less clumsy. About two minutes elapse and then Thing One heads back to my room. 

Thing One: Mom. Thing Two is so rude. He grabbed the last powdered sugar donut. Then, while he was eating it, he was smiling and laughing.

Me: And? (I mean really, survival of the fittest, right?)

Thing One: So I told him to quit rubbing it in my face.

Me: And then? (Knowing exactly how Thing Two thinks, much like his momma, I knew exactly what happened next.)

Thing One: Well, he told me that what he was doing wasn't rubbing it in my face. *This* was rubbing it in my face. (This is where he pretended he was smashing a donut into his own face.)

Just so you know - - there's no recovering from that one. The mister and I just stood there and laughed. Then we were all four laughing. 

Me: Okay, Thing Two. I know we laughed. And that was pretty funny. And clever. But it really wasn't very nice. On several levels. So don't misunderstand our laughter. Next time, be kinder. Okay?

Thing Two: Okay Mommy. But that was pretty hilarious. Wasn't it?  And, you look pretty today.

He's a smart one, that Thing Two!  Well played Thing Two.  Well played.

1 comment: